Monday, December 12, 2011

Good Medicine

Went down to The Clinic again today for my second round of the [not so] good stuff. Brett generously offered to give me some company and hatched the idea of making a fly tying session out of it. We grabbed our vises, snuck in a bag of fur and feathers and spun bugs for a couple hours. Needless to say we were the talk of the Cancer Center - nothing gets the nurses' attention quicker than a pile of marabou scraps in the bio-hazard bin!

On a more somber note, yesterday was a difficult day for our family as we laid my grandfather Don Messenger to rest. I kept thinking back to a much younger version of myself, holding Grandpa's hand and pestering him with one question after another as we wandered the halls of the natural history museum or walked the docks of the Shaker Nature Center. Those visits with him inspired in me what would eventually turn into a life-long love of all things outdoors, and for that I am forever grateful. Grandpa, you will be missed.


Can't make another post without thanking friends and family, especially all of you who came out yesterday to visit and pay respects. My mom, dad and I talked afterward about how lucky we are to have such caring and supportive people around us. Your encouragement and support helps more than you know!

P.S. At the moment I am still feeling well, if only a little "queasy." The nurses and doctors were encouraged to hear that I had been side-effect free for the last two weeks and said that bodes well for me going forward. Some of my blood counts were a little low, and I'll have to be very careful with my hygiene in order to avoid infection. So next time we cross paths, keep it kosher and throw me a fist bump instead of a handshake!

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your Grandpa, Jim.

    Glad to see your not feeling too bad to have a good old lie and tie. Keep fightin' hard! We're all thinking about you here in Oxford.
    -Mike M

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Becky are in my prayers. I believe you will beat this!
    And as a sidenote, you have great writing skills and I enjoyed reading the memories of your grandfather. Grandparents and the memories they give us are priceless.

    ReplyDelete